Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thai foot massage: Don't mind the punching

By chance, just a few days after I decided to begin this quest of mine, a friend texted me asking if I was up for a Sunday afternoon Thai foot massage. The only question I had was "What time?" Here's the message I got back: "I'll pick you up at noon. Wear loose clothes."

Then I had another question: "Do you want to get a drink after?" Her reply: "Yes, but our hair will be messed up, so we'll have to get cleaned up first."

That one got me curious (no, not nervous) enough to call for details. I hung up still not entirely sure what I was in for but still assured that it would be $20 well spent. Fair enough. So I changed into my pajamas and headed out to the Midway Foot/Body Massage parlor, er place ... whatever.

As my friend and I continued our conversation walking through the front door, a sort of distressed looking woman hurried over to greet us. In retrospect, I think she was trying to quiet us down so we wouldn't disturb the mood of the communal massage room we were about to enter.

I guess I had pictured a room lined with chairs similar to those you see at nail salons, with the whirlpool in the foot area and the remote-controlled back rollers that sometimes get stuck in a position that feels more like having a potato shoved between your back ribs. Not the case here.

The room definitely had that "massages happen here" vibe to it. Soft, relaxing music. Muted pastel tones and soul-soothing trinkets all around. And the occasional whispering amongst the staff.

But instead of the salon chairs with people sitting upright and wincing from the occasional potato jab, there were foam recliner thingys (for lack of a better term) spaced three or four feet apart throughout the room -- a few occupied by customers, towels draped over their eyes, their butts getting a good punching ... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I suspect the first Thai foot massage you get will always be the best one, simply because you have no clue what to expect from one moment to the next. Once you’re lying flat on your back with a towel over your face, you have only auditory clues from neighboring massages in progress about what’s ahead.

My hour-long journey began as I expected a foot massage would, with my feet soaking in warm water. What I didn’t expect was the ensuing scalp massage, followed by a firm and systematic rubdown of my arms, hands, fingers (complete with knuckle popping), and calves. Then came the actual foot rubbing, which, ironically, wasn’t particularly noteworthy for me. But, to be fair, I was concentrating intensely on not jerking my feet away in ticklish spasms.

This was around the time I heard my friend’s masseuse start giggling shyly and apologizing profusely. She later confirmed my suspicions of an accidental boob grab (hey, if you’re going to rest your hands on your chest underneath the towel, you have to know the risks).

Then came the slapping sounds. And I couldn’t help but laugh because I was just giddy with anticipation. Shortly thereafter, one leg at a time, my masseuse took me through a series of stretches, not unlike those you might see a trainer administering to an athlete who’s preparing to leap over stuff or put someone in a leggy chokehold.

With my knee bent, she pushed my leg to my opposite side, giving me that deep stretch in the hip flexor area. And then … she punched me in the butt, repeatedly and without hesitation. I was sure I’d be bruised the next day, not because it was unreasonable force but because I bruise easily. But I didn’t mind because once I got over the initial confusion of it all, I actually liked it. In fact, as I was being tenderized, I was wondering who I could get to resume that practice for me at home.

After sufficiently pulverizing the length of my thigh muscle, she gently pulled some of the bend out of my knee—then snapped my leg straight with the quickness and force you would use to hook a nibbling fish. Then again. Gentle bend … snap straight. And again. Truth be told, I still don’t get the point of that maneuver. But it’s all part of the journey.

Upon request, I flipped over onto my stomach for what I could only assume was the finale: a delightful back and shoulder rub. For this, my masseuse hiked up my shirt, just in the back, and unhooked my bra. My friend lost her shirt entirely. Again, all part of the journey.

So ... is Thai foot massage my passion?

All things considered, the experience was, as promised, $20 and one hour well spent. But is it my passion? Probably not. Will I add it to the agenda next time I have family from small-town Ohio in town? Oh, for certain.

57 comments:

  1. Hello
    I Read your article about Deep Tissue Massage. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information, and I hope you will share some more info about Massage. You wrote really very well, I really like your blog and information provided by you. I appreciate your work. This information is very useful for me and other peoples.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing that you have posted a lot of your good experience having a massage treatment like this. This gives some sort of significant thing to the foot doctor leesburg who is also offering the best massage treatment to their patient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thai foot massage is a lovely way to relax your foot and leg. I’ve heard of diabetic people getting pain relief from just a simple massage. It is advisable that you own a Thai foot massage if you’re diabetic and get relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. Erotic massage Prague

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is very informative. Eating mindfully has been very hard for people these days. It's all because of their busy schedules, work or lack of focus on themselves. As a student I must admit that I have not been eating mindfully but because of this I will start now. It could help me enjoy my food and time alone. Eating mindfully may help me be aware of healthy food and appreciating food.
    Thai Massage Epsom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.
    The Bodhi Tree

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merely a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style. podiatry drill

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    Thai Massage Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! irvine massage

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.
    Massage Epsom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many massage business tips will recommend studying with reputable schools like Cortiva Institute and the Utah College of Massage Therapy. 출장안마

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's very difficult to stumble upon the right essay service for your college needs. That's why reddit lovers prefer https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeworkCentral/comments/f6qgw8/how_to_choose_the_right_essay_writing_service_on/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. sos sciatique ebook gratuit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deep tissue massage is also possible with the help of great foot massager that can help in improving the blood circulation. Here are some of the best foot massager for diabetics here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. How should I use hemp soap?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m typical of blogging and I really appreciate your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I’m going to bookmark your website and keep checking for new information. You can also get information about THAI FOOT MASSAGE.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such sites are important because they provide a large dose of useful information ... Best GoWise Air Fryer

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a similar interest this is my page read everything carefully and let me know what you think. Best Air Fryer Under $100

    ReplyDelete
  20. Initial You got a awesome blog .I determination be involved in plus uniform minutes. i view you got truly very functional matters , i determination be always checking your blog blesss. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple , Y2mate

    ReplyDelete
  22. I should assert barely that its astounding! The blog is informational also always fabricate amazing entitys. Picuki

    ReplyDelete
  23. I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises... car roof rack

    ReplyDelete
  24. I understand this column. I realize You put a many of struggle to found this story. I admire your process. Fun888

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hmm… I interpret blogs on a analogous issue, however i never visited your blog. I added it to populars also i’ll be your faithful primer. บาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  26. During this website, you will see this shape, i highly recommend you learn this review. 윈조이머니상

    ReplyDelete
  27. I personally use them exclusively high-quality elements : you will notice these folks during: สล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  28. Excellent read, Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. สล็อตpg

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, thanks to offer such a helpful information here. how to hack online slot games

    ReplyDelete
  30. On this page you can read my interests, write something special. https://67.225.130.98/

    ReplyDelete
  31. You bear through a awesome vacancy. I sanity definitely quarry it moreover personally suggest to my buddys. I am self-possessed they determination be benefited from this scene. 메이저놀이터

    ReplyDelete
  32. In this case you will begin it is important, it again produces a web site a strong significant internet site: betting online slot

    ReplyDelete
  33. You ought to basically fantastic not to mention solid advice, which means notice: AQK 99

    ReplyDelete
  34. For many people this is important, so check out my profile: https://voyance-tel-avenir.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. There is so much in this article that I would never have thought of on my own. Your content gives readers things to think about in an interesting way. 인천오피

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hmm… I interpret blogs on a analogous issue, however i never visited your blog. I added it to populars also i’ll be your faithful primer. 명품레플리카

    ReplyDelete
  37. These websites are really needed, you can learn a lot. Sugar daddy & Mummy

    ReplyDelete
  38. During this website, you will see this shape, i highly recommend you learn this review. 부산그랜드룸

    ReplyDelete
  39. I should assert barely that its astounding! The blog is informational also always fabricate amazing entitys. "

    ReplyDelete
  40. On my website you'll see similar texts, write what you think. 파워볼놀이터

    ReplyDelete
  41. Acknowledges for penmanship such a worthy column, I stumbled beside your blog besides predict a handful advise. I want your tone of manuscript... 롤대리

    ReplyDelete
  42. These websites are really needed, you can learn a lot. pragmatic 88

    ReplyDelete
  43. On that website page, you'll see your description, why not read through this. situs 88

    ReplyDelete
  44. I use only high quality materials - you can see them at: UK FAKE DRIVING LICENCE

    ReplyDelete
  45. I use only high quality materials - you can see them at: Caishen Wins

    ReplyDelete
  46. I came onto your blog while focusing just slightly submits. Nice strategy for next, I will be bookmarking at once seize your complete rises... PG slot โปรโมชั่นโบนัส 200

    ReplyDelete
  47. On my website you'll see similar texts, write what you think. Jack Frost’s Winter

    ReplyDelete
  48. Cool you write, the information is very good and interesting, I'll give you a link to my site. สล็อตxoเว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete
  49. wow this saintly however ,I love your enter plus nice pics might be part personss negative love being defrent mind total poeple 먹튀검증

    ReplyDelete
  50. Your texts on this subject are correct, see how I wrote this site is really very good. ONTARIO FAKE ID

    ReplyDelete
  51. It is quite beneficial, although think about the facts when it reaches this target. Hire a Hacker

    ReplyDelete
  52. I have a similar interest this is my page read everything carefully and let me know what you think. Victoria Fake ID

    ReplyDelete
  53. Below you will understand what is important, the idea provides one of the links with an exciting site: Elon Musk’s net worth

    ReplyDelete
  54. I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work. solar panel portable charger

    ReplyDelete
  55. I would recommend my profile is important to me, I invite you to discuss this topic. Bitclout

    ReplyDelete
  56. You should mainly superior together with well-performing material, which means that see it: red boost reviews

    ReplyDelete